Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Art of Stained Glass 101

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked the question, "What equipment do I need to make stained glass with?" Well in this entry I will cover all the basic tools you will need to buy, in order to get you started on your way to making beginner stained glass.

The first thing is a good soldering iron. I recommend a 100 Watt Weller soldering iron as a good beginner iron, however, there are many others that are equally as good.

The second is a good oil glass cutter. I use a pistol grip glass cutter because the grip helps with the arthritis in my hands, however, a good pencil grip would do just as good.

Next, you will need a good grinder. I use an Inland grinder with a 3/4" grinding bit. Again, there are many other grinders on the market that are equally as good, so take your time and find one that you are happy with, it is a small investment.

Lastly, you will need a good pair of glass breaking pliers. There are plastic ones and there are metal ones. I have used both and honestly I have seen a difference in certain brands. So I would suggest going with the metal pliers, or spend some extra money and getting good, higher quality plastic pliers.

There you now have your tools, my next entry will cover your supplies. Come on, you can do it, before you know it you'll have a beautiful window created just like the one above. You'll be creating stained glass for your soul!

No comments: