Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's Not Work If You Love What You Do!

 Recently, I found myself pondering over all the odd jobs I had been lucky enough to have in my lifetime. I remembered one of my first attempts at employment was working in a small inconspicuous fast food place. The kind of place where grease is so prevalent that it should be listed as an entree on the menu! I was young, green and found myself having to quickly learn how to count change back the customer.

Over the years my employment history varied from car wash attendant to store manager to payroll clerk to framer to painter to Avon Lady and on and on until I finally retired as a cryptologic technician in the U.S. Navy. My jobs were each as different as night and day.

While day dreaming about all my various escapades I realized that the ones I excelled at the most were the ones that I truly loved to do. It's a simple concept, but one that we often forget to practice. How can you do something to the best of your ability if you really don't love doing it?

Today, my primary goal in everything I do is to have fun with it, and to find that part of it that I love doing, and do it! I found my love of stained glass and jewelry making years ago, and have since enjoyed many years of creating and sharing my passion for both of these arts with my family, friends and customers. I've created many friendships with a vast array of artisans because of my love for these two art forms. I can honestly say that my life has been greatly enriched by having pursued my passion in these two fields.

My hope is that each of you will find a job that you love doing. One that you go to bed dreaming about, and then awake in the morning eager to do it. If you're an artisan, then you already know what I mean, but if you're not, maybe you ought to let your creativity take a walk on the wild side.

To get your imagination going I suggest you check out Issue 4 of the Copper Wire Jewelers Magazine. It's a highly informative online magazine filled with a multitude of designs and well written articles to help get even the slowest of creative juices flowing. I've posted the magazine toward the bottom of this page, so you've no excuse not to thumb threw it. Oh, and yes, we are again happy to announce that we have made it into the magazine...page 16, thanks to Lois and her publishing companions Meredith and Dani at Hot Glue Media.

Enjoy the read!

No comments: